Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The New Year is already starting out great.

I just finished spending time with 3 of my 4 grand kids. We had special outings and enjoyed the Ronald Reagan library, Baseball Center, American Girl Doll shopping, ice skating, Netflix and lots of other activities while they were on winter break. Now as winter (80's today) approaches I look forward to more comfort food, back to painting and more writing. The year ended with 4300 gift bags for the incarcerated women in SoCal and county facilities through ACWIP and end of the year visits with friends and family.

Now that I shifted my apartment work and Mom's accounting to my sister and her husband, I have even more free time to volunteer. Today I was asked to be on the board of my new favorite charity POPS out of Venice High School, under the leadership of Dennis Dansinger and Amy Friedman. It is a school club where all it's members (high school students (have to have a connection with someone in prison). I was honored to talk to the group about mentoring and also donating money for their food lunches, cooked by another volunteer who happens to be a chef. I was included in their holiday party where a complete holiday meal was made. For some of these students this will be their only holiday party, I contributed cookies that were a big hit. The kids are learning to write about their feelings and the impact of having a relative in  prison. It makes my heart and soul weep for some of their losses. I look forward to being more involved with this wonderful group of good souls.

I have started painting again after a lull for a few months. I am back to my collage making as this represents me best. I love having a studio in my garage. It is easy and I feel like I am on a retreat when there.

After over 10 years of training in a gym with my wonderful trainer, I have quit. My trainer was fabulous but the private gym she used was awful. The woman who owns it doesn't need the money so she has less than zero customer service and even though I was paying a token amount because I used a trainer from there, I finally had had enough of her attitude and lack of smile. She continued with this behavior the entire 10 years I was there. In the end I got feisty and started just hating being there so I decided to let this go. My trainer and I will remain friends and if she ever changes location I am back.

I started swimming last year after meeting Michelle at a Spirited Women  meeting and was immediately entranced with her Aqua Chiro training. Every since February I have swam 2 times a week in an outdoor pool. It is the best thing I could have done for myself. This year I will increase to three times a week. Swimming for me and being in water makes me happy. I love the water and anything that gets me in a pool or the ocean works for me. Plus Michelle is a great coach and we have become friends which makes the training even more wonderful. I am purely entranced in a pool and the time goes quickly. Also, my body feels so much better and that is always a good thing.

As you all know I have had a friend named D for almost 14 years. We have been lovers, friends, friends with benefits, friends without benefits and now once again just enjoying each other's company while just being friends. There is something that ties us together even though we have had a few bad years as well as great times.  We are not matched for marriage in any way or even living together but our love for each other continues to let us keep trying anything to stay connected. Actually, sometimes it is extremely difficult and then other times as smooth as silk. Since neither of us have been connected to others we just drift back. I would think that since we are both open about finding others when we do, the relationship probably will change again. My friends are not real happy when I see him but it is up to me to choose what I want. Yes, he did something awful once many, many years ago and has more than made up for it in my mind. My grand kids love him  and that is good enough for me right now.

I have been more spiritual lately, reading cards, attending more spiritual events and commenting on blogs and radio shows that deal with spirits, angels and life. My life is balanced to me and I am living each day with gusto and enthusiasm for the hear and now and  the future.

I am blessed to be able to travel and plan many trips for this year. I will be attending weddings, Bat Mitzvahs and traveling to Cuba in the first half of this year and then who knows what the the rest of the year holds. But whatever evolves I will enjoy it by sharing it with family and friends. I love Facebook for giving me so many new friends that I have met in person and those that  I only know through their posts.

Here's wishing everyone in my sphere a new joy of adventure, love and spirit.

4 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed reading, Madge. You're a busy lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anna for reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a feeling 2014 is going to be awesome for you!
    Love Cuba - the people are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete